Monday 7 July 2008

Are you ready for the country?

...ready I didn't think we were when the train windows were coated with a fim of rain. We walked into the festival yesterday off the shuttle bus pre-warned that our friends inside were wet and seeking shelter. We sourced ourselves a beer and walked further afield to find people. Rain drops topping up our beers we navigated the crowds of people in disposable macs. Just as we found our friends Rufus Wainwright began playing Hallelujah, the rain stopped, the clouds parted and revealed the blue sky which covered us for the rest of the day. It was a great day. A good crew, ciders, mini scotch eggs and quiche from Neil Barons well stocked satchel. We were all there to see one man...



What songs did he play? There were some firm favourites in there..

Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / I've Been Waiting For You / Spirit Road / F@*kin' Up / Oh, Lonesome Me / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Words / No Hidden Path // A Day In The Life

Doesn't look long but he played for nearly two hours and tracks like "no hidden path" went on for about 25 minutes. It was emotional. "Spirit road" was brilliant as was "f@*kin up" which I was happy to hear and the reasonably high octane pace set by the beginning of the show paved the way for the slower songs at it's core. He covered the bases really with the tracks he chose there. I was pleasantly surprised to hear "words" and I think anybody who hadn't investigated what he had been playing on previous nights in Europe would have been surprised by the encore. "A day in the life", the final track on the Sgt Peppers album. Paul McCartney played this for the first time since it was recorded 41 years ago only a month or two back and it has been the final encore at his shows. You can enjoy the same enecore I did from a show a week back in Ireland...



Neil's version shreds. I have some pictures I'll bring you tomorrow when there's a lead at my disposal. Today is my day off but i thought I'd share the set with you.

1 comment:

Slobodan Burgher said...

Something to play with, Net Disaster where you can make funny things like:

http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?mode=wasp&url=http://jakesalley.blogspot.com/