Sunday 31 October 2010

Nike SB Wear Test

Just came back from another wear test...



One thing I took great pleasure in was waiting by the window in the airport...



and seeing my bag loaded onto the plane. No mounting the iron bird from the floor this time but seeing that happen was enough behind the scenes for me. The Brucey bonus was said bag being first off the rotating baggage rack the other side. I met Sam Barrat and Dan Magee and we made our way to the hotel where Colin Kennedy and Mackey were also staying...



This alternative residence was just down the road...



Our itinerary looked like this...



The lunch took place in the ornate Winter room...



Dan or Mr Magoo according to the concierge got his new industry standard kit out...



He was like a Fringe character capturing pieces of the present for the future. Next up we had a presentation about the shoe we were to try out...



Shaun the designer of the Zoom FP (future primitive) took us through the evolution of the more technical SB's to the present. The E-cue which was Nike's original experiment with durability vs comfort compared to what we saw the other day was like seeing Roseanne Barr next to Natalie Portman. It's crazy to think of how bulky some of the shoes we wore were. The Zoom FP takes elements of the Presto running shoe, a personal favourite of mine and the thought behind the shoe was to completely minimise the amount of individual pieces used. Interlocking pieces, if my memory serves me correctly-three in all make up the shoes upper. Inspired by the construction of a roman sandal the end result is the most foot hugging and snug skate shoe I've ever put on. One of my favourite skate shoes for that very reason was the es Koston 2. Here's a better look at the shoes...



When the presentation was over we were whisked away to the amazing Amsterdam skatepark. My photograph taking was impeded by skating most of the time until the lure of the bar was too much for me. Here's one of my country folk...



Magee and Mackey-the real thing. Here's my attempt at skate photography...



The green ghost in the front of the photo is the memory of Ishod Wair's massive frontside ollie over the channel. Magee's edit will do this more justice. Get used to Ishod Wair's name, he smashes it, here's a hint at his skills...



When I first grabbed the shoe box I thought it was a dud. Ridiculously light! With the future wrapped around our pieds we made sure we all kickflipped the Wembley gap. Koston was skating at the park too, here's his ad for the project...



These ads were shot by someone from London. Once the skate was over we had an amazing meal and went to a massive party. Thanks to Nike for their hospitality once again, good times. Our hotel was filled with good advice, here's what I took on board waiting for the lift out of there...



Nice

No comments: